"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Born to Run


Running is one of the most universal and natural exercises humans can engage in. Evolutionarily, we began running to hunt, or because we were being hunted: it arose out of necessity, not for the purpose of fitness, weight loss, or enjoyment.

However, now that the human race has advanced to a culture of iPods, flat screen TV’s, Xbox, and takeout, we don’t really need to run to catch food: We can sit and entertain ourselves with the aforementioned electronic devices while the food is brought TO us, via a delivery man in a car.

Speaking of a car, that’s really the only energy you need to expend to even get the food yourself. Drive thru’s and sit down restaurants allow you to walk mere fifteen-twenty feet to your car, where you will again be stationary as you A) pull through a drive thru lane and receive food, or B) Slide into a booth, where you will sit and order food.

Picking up a menu and pulling out your wallet doesn’t exactly burn as many Calories as living on the savannah, chasing after gazelles and wild boars, and then doing the work of butchering and skinning the animal did.

So, if running is so great and natural, why do most people hate it so much? Well, because it’s
hard. At first, anyways.
Running, just like any other activity or complicated task, takes time to learn: the first few attempts are bound to be disastrous, paramount only to the sinking of the Titanic. But over time, the once arduous task becomes easier, and even enjoyable: each rivulet of sweat feels like a hard-earned medal after the accomplishment of an additional mile, or an extra five minutes.

If you need any more inspiration, check out the guy on the left.

Even if you’re not too keen on the idea of excessive perspiration, that extra sweat occurs for a reason.
Running burns more Calories than most other fitness activities. However, many people are under the belief that walking and running burn the same number of Calories. This is semi-true.
Each time I run (10 Miles), for my body weight and body composition, I burn 1072 Calories, and it takes me about 1.5 hours at a moderate (9 minute mile) pace. If I were to walk ten miles, it would take me 2 hours and 20 minutes, and burn 900 Calories.

So although the difference in Calories burned both fall within the range of 200 Calories difference (172 more Calories while running) the running pace will be accomplished by nearly an hour less.

That being said, I don’t expect anyone beginning a running routine to attempt a ten mile run their first time out. However, if you’re currently walking on the treadmill at the gym, try adding running intervals, and work up to maintaining a running pace for longer distance.
Still not convinced that running exercises your body more efficiently than walking? Reconsider what I said above, about time and distance.

Running (vs walking) covers distance much faster.

Therefore, a body that is running works much harder than a body that is walking, because maintaining a faster pace (running) requires more energy. Also, since the runner is exercising muscle mass more vigorously than the walker, the muscle gained by the runner will (generally) be greater than that of the walker.

The cardiovascular benefits of running are numerous, but overall health profits extend far beyond just cardiovascular health. The American College of Sports Medicine has performed detailed studies, the findings of which support a higher HDL (good) cholesterol level, a decrease of bodily fat and blood triglycerides, as well as a decrease in coronary heart disease in runners who clocked in more than 10 miles per week.

Think about it- that’s less than 1.5 miles per day!

Personally, I run about 40 miles per week (4 ten mile runs), plus other exercise the other days of the week. Running didn’t come easy at first, and I stumbled over many of the mistakes that begging runners make.

I ran too fast. This is the mistake I see beginning runners make most often, and I definitely was guilty of it, too. Everyone wants to be a fast runner, but don’t force it. If you do, then you’ll just end up exhausted and quitting after a few minutes. Slow down.

Keep your back straight, take even steps, and move at a pace that may seem slow. A natural pace will allow you to move naturally and maintain speed, whereas a forced pace will leave you gasping for breath and moving erratically.
Swing your arms in time with the motions of your legs and don’t worry about whether or not you look slow, even compared to other runners- they’re too busy concentrating on their own activities to notice you, anyways.

I wore the wrong shoes. “Pronation” is the way your foot strikes when it makes contact with the ground. Everyone pronates differently, and running shoes should be purchased according to your pronation type. Wearing the wrong type of shoe can cause joint pain, cramping in the legs or feet, and blisters.

A simple “wet test”, in which you wet your feet and walk across a sheet of newspaper, will let you test for your pronation type. Runner’s World has a great pronation test guide, and even allows your to search for shoes afterwards according to pronation type, gender, and shoe size.

I breathed through my mouth like a rabid dog. Erratic breathing will cause you to slow your pace, or quit altogether. Breathing through the mouth causes you to expand your abdomen. Instead, keep your abdomen neutral and breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, which should be relaxed and slightly open. A good breathing-running ratio is 2:2. One breath in should last two steps, one breath out should last two steps.
If you’re finding yourself breathing in and out more frequently than that, you may be running at too quickly a pace to maintain at a long distance.

I judged myself. My first few months running, I could make it about a mile: barely. I’d be gasping for breath by the time I was done, a sweaty mess. I felt unathletic and embarrassed, but it made me all the more determined to get better. And I did, but it was gradual. Don’t expect to be an amazing and enlightened runner within a month or two- running takes time. It took me about a year and a half before I really fell into ease and love with it.

It wasn’t all total failure, though: I did do some things right, and as soon as I fixed the things I was doing wrong, I was on my way to a happy relationship with running.

I wore an iPod. Music let me concentrate something other than the hum of the treadmill and my own breathing. It also allowed me to have other thoughts about my day or little daydreams as my favorite songs shuffled through my iPod, which attached conveniently to my arm in a sportsband. Running playlists suited to my favorites genres and artists were better than those played in the gym, and I could pick songs that would “pump me up” to run that extra mile.

I didn’t consume sports beverages. And that means no Gatorade, Powerade, or Vitamin Water. Why not? Simply put: most people don’t need them. These beverages are meant to replenish energy and electrolytes in serious athletes: and that does not include average (non-Michael Phelps) athletes, no matter how hard your workout may feel.

These beverages contain hundreds of unneeded Calories, which cause weight gain. Clearly, fluids need to be replenished during exercise, but for most athletes, water is the natural answer to dehydration. The only reason a sports beverage may be necessary is for an endurance athlete engaging in nonstop exercise for more than 1.5 straight hours (like a marathon).

I wore clothes I could breathe in. I see a lot of people (women especially) in long pants or baggy shirts attempting to run. It’s easiest to run in less clothing/ Even if you’re uncomfortable with the way your body may look in more revealing clothes, you’ll be able to run easier when you don’t have the air catching excess fabric and sweat gathering in your baggy clothing while you run. Try a pair of shorts (even if they’re knee length) and a dry-fit tee shirt (like the one pictured), or even better, an athletic tank.

Men, try an old tee shirt with the sleeves cut off for extra ventilation, which will give the same freedom as an athletic tank for women.

And ladies- do wear a sports bra, not just a typical bra. It really does make a difference in athletic performance, whether you have large breasts or not.

I ran on a treadmill instead of the road. However, the road may be better for you. It’s all a personal preference. I have a partially torn meniscus as the result of a knee dislocation, and am unable to run on hard or uneven surfaces for extended periods of time. Although 1-2 weeks of running on roads wont hurt me, I’ll gradually start to feel the pain, and so I run on a treadmill. The softer surface is easier on my injured joint.

Many people prefer to run outside for the aesthetic quality of the passing scenery, which is especially pleasant if you live near a park or other ideal running location. If you choose to run outside, be sure to run in an area with less traffic, and wear reflective clothing if you run in the evening or early morning, and beware of cars at all times.

I took my hobby with me as I traveled. I know many people who love to travel, but hate that they cant exercise during their vacation because of the lack of gym equipment. You cant exactly pack an elliptical machine in a carry-on. However, many hotels do have gyms, and running shoes fit easily in a suitcase. Make use of the hotel gyms bright and early, or hit the streets to take in the sights as you run.

Doing so will help you maintain your running “groove” and running outside in new cities is a great way to discover new and interesting places to visit later in the day. My family travels abroad a lot, and some of my favorite memories are from my early morning runs: seeing the bakers prepping their shops for the morning crowds, or the fruit venders lining up their produce in the stands.

I know I’ll never forget the sun rising over the shores of Barcelona as Bruce Springsteen’s “Radio Nowhere” blasted through my ear buds: and I’d have missed all that beauty without my favorite healthy hobby!

So, if you want to start running- grab a pair of shoes, keep a positive attitude, and hit the trail, or treadmill, or road! And as always, I’ll be here for any questions along your way- God Speed!

2 comments:

Liv said...

I love this blog and running <3 Nice job Morgan!

M. Medeiros said...

Aw thanks Olivia! :)